Tuesday, May 11, 2021

Passover Celebrations (2021)


We celebrate the Feasts of the Lord according to the astronomically and agriculturally correct calendar.  It is how God tells time.  We celebrate them because He acts according to His timetable.  The feasts are dress rehearsals for what God has done in the past or is going to do in the future.  Since we are in a prophetic season (a time when He is moving) we are watching closely for the signs. This year, everyone around the world is confused. That includes me.

My late grandfather's wine glass

The Gregorian calendar is used here in the USA. It has a leap day every four years to keep the calendar coordinated with the sun.  The Hebrew calendar is based on the cycles of the moon and has a leap month every few years. The leap month is decided by the rabbis in Israel and is based on the ripe barley harvest around the Temple Mount.  If there are not enough grains to make loaves of bread for the Wave Offering for the Feast of First Fruits a few weeks later, an extra month is added to the calendar.  

Unleavened bread made from whole wheat flour, oil, and salt.

This year, no one could agree if enough were ready.  Since there was no high priest to judge (Jesus is in heaven), "every man decided to do what was right in his own eyes" and two Passovers, Unleavened Breads, First Fruits, and Pentecosts were declared. 

Lighting the Shabbot Candle at Sundown

We celebrated our first Passover on Sunday, March 28th with a feast, the second one a month later with sandwiches.  At present, I am still counting down to the second Pentecost.  On each "maybe today is the right feast date" we talked to each other and discussed what was happening in the world and wondered which were signs from God. We all have different opinions...confusion is reigning, but time will tell.  

Our Seder Meal

Our first Passover was almost the same as last year's celebration except Joshua, my firstborn, received the honor of applying the lamb's blood to the doorframes.  He took this responsibility seriously since he is the only firstborn in the house and his life is on the line.

Take some of the blood and put it on the sides and tops of the doorframes of the houses where they eat the lambs.  For I will pass through the land of Egypt this night and will smite all the firstborn in the land of Egypt, both man and beast; and against all the gods of Egypt I will execute judgment... The blood will be a sign for you on the houses where you are, and when I see the blood, I will pass over you. No destructive plague will touch you when I strike Egypt.  This is a day you are to commemorate; for the generations to come, you shall celebrate it as a festival to the Lord- a lasting ordinance.  Exodus 12 NIV




Scooter seemed to be quite interested in the proceedings which made us wonder if he too is firstborn.


We wore our shoes and kept our keys and wallets close by to quickly grab if we heard the shofar blow. It is the closest we can get to the meaning of "girdling our loins".

And thus shall ye eat it; with your loins girdled, your shoes on your feet, and your staff in your hand; and ye shall eat in haste.      Exodus 12:11, KJV.

Everyone's wallet and car keys sitting beside the table.

A fresh salad from the garden symbolized the Lord's abundance. He provided the rain and was responsible for my successful garden.

Garden salad

A fruit salad covered in cream represented looking ahead to the sweetness of the promised land of milk and honey.

Fruit salad covered in cream

Cucumbers and garlic remind me to not murmur and complain in my tent when life is not perfect.

Garlic plant and cucumbers

The lamb represented Jesus who choose to be sacrificed as our Passover Lamb.

Cooked Lamb

The only other change this year was the choice of bitter herbs. We ate the yellow blooms from a bolting mustard plant because they are deceptive.  Their beauty is enticing at first but it becomes bitter as you eat. For me, they symbolized how easy it was to be trapped in slavery.  Lies such as: "lockdown for only two weeks to save lives and flatten the covid curve" morphed into "you can't visit your mother for 11 months or go anywhere without a vaccination passport."  A virus with a survival rate of 99.9 percent for anyone under 70 years old terrified and stopped the world.  I willingly gave up freedoms and unquestioningly believed Pharoah.  Never again.

Bitter flowers from a bolting mustard plant

As for receiving a message from God, He has spoken clearly and I have heard.  This year is going to be confusing, chaotic and it will get worse before it gets better.  

Scooter washing the dishes.

Last year's celebrations and an explanation as to our traditions
Passover, Sundown, April 8, 2020

6 comments:

  1. Fascinating. Thank you so much for your detailed and well-described explanation of the traditions. May your household and family be blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the interesting description of Passover in your family. I remember, when I was a child,
    my mother bought unleavened bread now and then just because she liked it. It was sold all around the
    year and was called Matzen. It was rectangular and reminded me of Swedish crispbread. I did not like
    it very much because it was rather dry.
    I am amazed about the size of the garlic plant in the middle of your table. This must be a giant variety.
    Mine are much smaller.
    Many years ago I once had the herb hyssop (that is mentioned in the Bible) in our garden. But I could
    not use it in my kitchen, it was so bitter. I had fear to spoil the meal by adding hyssop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Matzen is the same as what I cooked except mine is delicious (in my humble opinion). It is really just crackers but coming out of the oven hot makes a big difference. Usually, I roll it out like a pie crust and bake the whole piece of dough. We snap it into smaller pieces but since this was a special occasion, I decided to use a bowl as a cookie cutter.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for sharing this my friend. It's been such a difficult year and I've been happy to have your friendship. Have a wonderful week and enjoy your family. God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Blessings to you and your household. I agree 100% about believing Pharaoh again and this year of chaos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have a Jewish community in South Africa, and I grew up enjoying matzos.

    Let us not forget the many young families going back to normal, without a parent who was a frontline medical worker. For them there is no 'back to normal'

    ReplyDelete