Tuesday, May 31, 2022

May's Garden (2022)


It is done.  We have worked extremely hard this month and everything but the sweet potato and pepper plants are out. It has not been easy.  


One of my goals has been to focus on saving more seeds.  Scattered throughout the garden are labeled bolting plants. It seems attaching a label and tying them to a stake helps me resist the urge to remove them when they start looking ratty.


The front right corner bed has Early Rogue tomatoes which were advertised by the seed catalog to be the first to ripen. We shall see. Since they are determinate and will probably die after production the melons will be able to takeover this bed. 


In January, a new melon appeared in the grocery store. Unable to contain myself, I bought one at the inflated price of $4.79.  We loved the sweet flavor and saved every seed. A Dino melon is now growing with my other melons but has differently shaped lobed leaves. There isn't much information available but hopefully, it will produce well.

Dino Melon                        Banana Melon

The first row beside the lawn has the remaining cool weather vegetables.  The empty spots will soon get seeds from the squash varieties which have tough stems that can withstand the mighty army of squash vine borers swarming toward my garden.  


The second row has purple hull peas in the front section but the back has been planted with three different varieties of old field pea seeds in hopes something will sprout.  I'm still waiting for some signs of life. 


The sweet potatoes will be in the third row beside the Orange Icicle Tomatoes.  Putting them together should work since the potatoes won't be dug until after the tomatoes die from frost damage or until I angrily rip them up. These are the ones that have trouble with blossom end rot so if they start to suffer, they will be gone. 


Next is row four which held the onions, garlic, and romaine lettuce.  It became a jungle and was all my fault.  The lettuce was from saved seeds and grew so abundantly that I didn't have the heart to thin it.  The onions and garlic were able to reach the sunlight so I didn't worry until it was too late.


When hot weather hit they all bolted fast and developed huge thick stems with big roots. They were impossible to break and digging them out disturbed the onion roots. 

  


Thinning seedlings when they look healthy is difficult for me but this has been a hard lesson learned. Maybe the onions will rebound from my mistake.


The next row to the left is the thin row that held the early maturing vegetables which were to be followed by the peppers.  Hasn't worked. I misjudged their speeds of growth and our ability to consume the large amount. Later varieties are still maturing and are in the way. Some of the peppers have been planted in other rows but the rest will have to be squeezed in.


The Violet De Galmi Onions along the outside edge of this row that I started from seed are doing well. I was surprised by how easy it was and next year will start more varieties earlier. The seeds were sprinkled in a cup and grown in my kitchen window during the dark days of winter. They grew slowly and the green cheered me up.


The middle of the garden is beginning to fill with vegetables.


My unending quest to successfully grow summer squash continues.  Squash vine borers hatched out in my area on May 15th so the plants have been hidden under a row cover.  It was removed when the blooms appeared and a scent trap was placed on the corral fence. 


All of the squash varieties that are susceptible to the borers are planted close to the trap.  They are zucchini, c. pepo; yellow squash, c. pepo; spaghetti, c. pepo; Honeyboat Delicata, c. pepo; and Red Kuri, c. maxima.  The Zucchino Rampicante, c. moschata needs the corral for support.  All of the other moschata varieties will be further away from the trap. This will be the year I get more zucchini than we can eat! I will succeed!


In the back corner of the garden are small sprouting different green bean varieties. They are together so not to be confused with the young shelly bean pods at harvest. They look alike when small but shelly beans are stringy when eaten as a green bean. 


The potatoes don't seem to mind being in the shade.  I don't know if they will produce less because of lower sunlight or if they will live longer due to the coolness of the shade.


The rut between the potatoes and the row of assorted unknowns is almost full of composting weeds. Tossing stuff in the paths looks terrible but saves many steps. Being trampled speeds their decomposition.


The back left corner by the field has pole beans under the supports and bitter melon sprouting below the arch. 


We ate the spinach this month but left a few bolting plants for seeds.  Lettuce and beets seeds have taken their place.


It feels good to have the hardest part over now that the weather is turning hot.  It is time to sit back and maintain: water, weed, harvest, then repeat. 

16 comments:

  1. We love melons, and are trying to grow honeydew for the first time. I hope they and your Dino melons will thrive. Squash vine borers... I suppose I need to start looking for them and the squash bugs too. Let's hope they miss our gardens this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The squash bugs are already here. They were under the hoop house cover when I removed it.
      I keep checking the trap to see if there are any yet. I'm keeping my hopes up that it will work.

      Delete
  2. Wow your garden looks amazing this month, it is so full of plants you must have worked so much time in the garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have worked hard but it is going to be worth it. So far, we have already harvested a tremendous amount but it is tomatoes and watermelons that I am looking forward to eating.

      Delete
  3. Too bad Scooter doesn't enjoy the taste of squash bugs!

    We have another enemy...DEER. They may or may not leave some for us. (So far, they've been good. Ruby the dog helps keep them at bay.) I am trying a new alternative: planting three or four beds' worth in different areas, to see how close they'll actually get to the house. Ironically, I am putting in what the company called 'deer greens:' a mix of chard, kale and turnip. It's been so cold here that the beans are still not up -- and I just put in the zukes. So nice to look at your beautiful garden, even though it gives me "green envy."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scooter does not like squash bugs but he does likes to catch and eat grasshoppers. He has trouble catching them because when they hop he loses sight of where they land. I turn my head and look the other way because I can't bear the sound of them being crunched. It makes me gag.

      Delete

  4. Your garden is so nice right now. I know, first hand, how much time you had to have put in to get it to look that good. I'm glad you feel energetic enough to do that! Your climate is just enough ahead of ours, that many of your veggies are ahead of ours. I love your experimenting. I'll look forward to seeing how your melon comes out, and if it grows the same as the one you ate.

    I have a new watermelon variety I'm trying. Now, mind you, just because I've only got 2 watermellons in my whole life of trying, doesn't mean I should give up:). Of course, last summer, when it was 117 (very rare) I didn't plant any:(. This kind promises to be a small personal-sized one that was developed for the northern part of Idaho where the nights are in the 40's a lot. Now, if that won't grow here, I'm hopeless. Or rather, watermelon cultivation is!

    So far, we are harvesting lettuce, herbs, spinach and boc choi. The snow peas are going to be ready very soon. It has rained so much that it has been difficult to plant, weed or hoe, but we are managing in-between rainy days.

    Enjoy that garden!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Snow Peas are something I can't grow. Every year I plant some because I love them. I get a handful and then they die from the heat. This year I ate the few I grew in the garden while working. None even made it into the house.

      I am curious about the Dino melon. I should plant more but there is no room left for anything else. Today I walked up and down the aisle looking for somewhere to put the chamomile tea plants seedlings. At least they are small so I was able to squeeze them under some tomato plants. This past weekend I cleared a weed patch from my flower bed out front and put out chick peas. I got the bag from the grocery and thought, why not throw some out and see what happens.

      Delete
  5. I will interested to see how the potatoes do. Fun to read about your garden...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have potatoes in three different areas of the garden - out in the full sunshine, in the potato patch which is half shade and also in a big bucket in complete shade. I noticed a gardener on another blog who lives in London does not dig hers until October and they are still alive. Hers are all huge. I'm trying to figure out what is different. Why do mine die early?

      Delete
  6. Good job, Mom and Dad! Y'all have indeed worked hard. Hoping the strategy works so we can get squash this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has already failed. There is not one squash vine borer in the trap. Something is wrong. Yesterday I lost a squash to them. I took a shot needle, filled it with soapy water and squirted it in all of the vines of the remaining squash in hopes it will kill any borers that are inside. I didn't know if it would kill the plants but I figure they are doomed any way. It was labor intensive especially on those plants with long vines. It is too much work to do all the time. I am going to put another scent in the sticky trap. Maybe that will work.

      Delete
  7. Our weather has been wet and chilly so our garden is coming along slowly. Yes, I planted a small garden and I'm trying again. All of my plants are small, but they're alive so I am hopeful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could take some wet and chilly weather. It has been in the upper 90's every day and no rain in three weeks! August weather came early this year.

      I have made every mistake possible but just kept planting until I figured it out. Everyone's garden spot is different. If you do the same, you will succeed.

      Delete
  8. Such loveliness from such hard work! You will have such a wonderful bounty at harvest time!

    ReplyDelete