Friday, April 29, 2022

April's Garden (2022)

This month I have pushed hard to get as much as possible planted early.  The higher food prices rise, the harder I work. Our last frost was a few days ago so now its time to focus on the warm weather plants.  

Bill was able to plow this section by stopping to rest and breathing carefully.  It wasn't easy, but he did it.  I'm so proud. We are slowly getting everything done.


Deep paths were dug between the rows to create water drainage if (when) there is a huge storm. The garden is situated on a sloping hill so rainwater runs down the field across the garden and into the woods. I learned this lesson the hard way after losing the whole garden my first year. Weeds, leaves, and twigs are going to be thrown into the deep ruts so eventually, the paths will become full. This saves me the trouble of hauling stuff to the compost pile, waiting for it to decompose, and then carrying it back to the garden.

Before        /        After

The first row on the right beside the yard has just been planted with cool weather vegetables, kale, cabbage, and Chinese greens. They will be harvested before hot summer arrives and then long vining winter squash will be planted in the empty spaces.  The plan, which is subject to change, is to let them grow over the short fence and take over the yard.  We need a huge amount to store and feed us through the winter.

The second row will be fast-growing beans followed by sweet potatoes.  The potato vines will be allowed to spread to the right over the path and into the squash bed. It will be a mess but should produce an abundance.



The third bed has just been planted with Orange Icicle Tomatoes.  


Below is last year's crop on June 29th.  They are covered with the first fruit of the season but it developed blossom end rot.  It was either caused by a calcium deficiency in the soil or the roots being unable to access enough calcium due to extreme water fluctuations from dry to wet. No other tomato, pepper, or melon developed problems.  Even the watermelon that grew below them was fine.  This variety of tomato is susceptible so I should have tossed the seeds. However, after being treated they recovered and produced more than any other plant. They are being given another chance.


This will not happen again, I vowed.


All winter long we tossed eggshells into these pots to decompose.  The compost will be added to the soil to make sure there is plenty of calcium.


The Orange Icicle tomato plants are spaced further apart so they will not need to fight for water.  Around the roots I added a pinch (1/2 teaspoon) of Epsom salt because I have been told it might help, internet opinions differ. Next, I threw in a little 13-13-13 fertilizer. Thank goodness I was able to find some. Lastly, a pinch of Calcium Nitrate was also added. If this doesn't work, nothing will.


The next row over is the garlic, onions, and romaine lettuce.  The lettuce seeds were saved from one plant two years ago. I didn't think they were viable and so I broadcast heavily.  Oh, was I wrong!  Every seed germinated!  It has encouraged me to focus more on seed saving.



The next bed to the left is a narrow row that has bok choy, napa cabbages, and anything fast-growing.  All will be harvested soon then peppers will be slipped into the empty spaces between the onions.  Come July, the onions will be finished but the peppers will produce until frost.


The next sections are in the process of being planted.


The assorted kales in the second to the last row close to the field fence are from the winter garden and are bolting. Some are being saved for seeds but there is too much for us to use so they will be frozen or shared.  Okra will be planted here and after it is tall enough, late beans will be put underneath.
 

At the beginning of this month, we dug four trenches in the back of the garden for potatoes.  As they sprout, the soil is hoed up around them.  This is the first time I have tried growing them like this.  Last year covering them in hay worked great but now I don't want to take a chance it may have been sprayed with something toxic. 


Three weeks later after a few warm sunny days, the potatoes sprouted. 


The back left corner has a patch of Bloomsdale spinach.  It is the first time I have ever been successful at growing more than a few plants. I learned the secret - plant early and plant a lot. 


"Scooter darling, will you please move over so I can take a picture and brag about my successful spinach?" I politely asked.


"Spinach is so boring." yawned Scooter.  "I am resting from working hard guarding my kingdom against a ferocious rat monster."


"Scooter, stop being sassy.  There are no rat monsters in my garden nor are any hiding in my shed. Don't create such wild tales."

28 comments:

  1. As always, your garden is beautiful! Are you going to eat all the spinach fresh, or freeze some?

    I planted my tomatoes today. It's pushing the envelope on our last frost date, but I looked ahead and it doesn't call for any in the next 10 days anyway and then it should be safe, around the middle of May. The plants were getting very leggy, so I buried them deep. They will root along their stems, so that should work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Today I did a major harvesting of spinach, kale and lettuce to send home with two of my sons that are visiting for the weekend. They have eaten salads and hot homemade bread all weekend. They will take a huge amount back and put what they can't eat fresh in their freezers. I have never frozen it but this year I am going to give it a try. The kale is bolting so the flavor is changing but is still good enough for stir fry. I picked all of the spinach leaves except for one on each plant. I love the fresh flavor so was quite greedy.

      Delete
  2. Scooter to the rescue! I so enjoy seeing what you're growing and trying each year. I've never had much luck growing spinach, so I need to remember the plant early and lots principle next year, because we love it. Hopefully, your tomato prep will produce a bountiful crop. Nothing beats just harvested lettuce in salads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fresh spinach is one of my favorites but I have never had more than a few plants survive. I got a big bag from the co-op so there was plenty to broadcast. Something got into the garden and began munching so I threw a bent up piece of broken fencing over the spinach and that seemed to deter whatever was nibbling. It tastes too good to share with a little thief.

      Delete
  3. P.S. I meant to also say how good it is to hear Bill is making progress in his healing, and hope it continues.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for asking about Bill. He continues to do better - not 100% yet, but I am not complaining. He will forget and do something strenuous then suddenly have to stop talking mid-sentence to focus on breathing. I am just so glad he is alive.

      Delete
  4. Wow you have been working hard in the garden this month, glad Scooter provided some help too! Sarahx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scooter is good at laying down in the mud, getting dirty and having to be bathed. That is his best skill.

      Delete
  5. Susan M. in ChattanoogaApril 30, 2022 at 2:41 PM

    Oh smart Scooter!!! I wish I knew more about how to do succession planting! I love how you use your garden to the fullest, planting one thing when a previous thing finishes growing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, just stick something in the soil when you have an empty spot. That's how I learned. Empty soil has to be weeded so keep anything growing.

      Delete
  6. Looking good! You have a nice little helper, don't you? I wish I had more sun so I could grow more edibles. Happy spring!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have had to move the garden over 30 feet south toward the house and away from the woods because the trees in the woods have grown so much. Shade has become a problem for me also. The long path in the back area going across the garden from right to left (in front of the potatoes) is the boundary marking the sunny side from the shady side. Right now the trees haven't leafed out yet so all of it is sunny. It is hard to grow things in the shade. The potatoes will be in the shade because I want to know if they will do better.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Growing our own is so important these days of rapidly rising prices. Your garden looks wonderful and you will have an amazing harvest. Our last frost date isn't till mid May so we are a bit behind you,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our last frost dates seem to be getting later and later. I have begun starting more and more things inside early. It has been a real pain to haul everything inside on cold nights and the kitchen floor has often become quite crowded. However, the family is cooperative since they get to eat the food.

      Delete
  9. You sure have been busy...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...and exhausted. I went to bed at 5:00 yesterday afternoon and slept until 4:00 am this morning. I am only still sitting here now because I haven't finished my coffee. I want everything planted before the hot weather arrives. It seems, the older I get, the less I can bare the hot sunshine.

      Delete
  10. Next time you'll listen to the Faithful Dog! :) You get 'em, Scooter! (Actually, the rats in my dad's corncrib were the size of CATS. The cats avoided them -- and so did I.) So glad to hear your garden report...reassuring to hear that life may be going back to 'normal' for you.
    Alas, it is not the case here in Colorado. We're up pretty high (6250 ft) and every warm, spring-y day is followed by two or three of freezing temps, snow, etc. My onion sets and seeds are waiting... take care, Jeannie, Friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cindy, Scooter warned me something was amiss in the shed. He kept running around outside sniffing around. I discovered it was inside because of the droppings and stench. I put out poison which disappeared by the next day but it didn't make a difference. Purchased a huge mouse trap and added enticing peanut butter but that was ignored. It wasn't afraid and walked out to glare at me when I went inside to get a tool! I called my great hunter, Bill. He bravely entered the shed equipped for battle and the monster rat didn't even run. It popped its head up out of its nest (my favorite flower pot which has now been trashed) and dared to challenge Bill. The Second Amendment has once again saved our lives!

      Delete
  11. Hi mom. This your son josh. Both phones are down. We have all called both phones multiple times. We are not even getting text replies. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, my love. When all three technical savvy sons leave home, we old timers are left to defend ourselves against the horrors of technology. If only you were here to save us. Alas, you were not.

      For my readers, my phone service Republics Wireless did an upgrade and it wiped out everything. I have dealt with a nightmare situation for two weeks now, one where getting a person, or even a response to a work order was impossible. Every single step of the process has had a technical issue, one that I had to search the internet or YouTube videos to show me how to repair. I am in the process of transferring to a new carrier and at least have some service now.

      Joshua, darling, we will be using carrier pigeons for communication now. I am tossing all technology to save my sanity. I will be giving you a pair of pigeons the next time you return home so you can contact me whenever there is an emergency. Included will be a bag of birdseed so you can keep them in your city apartment. I'm sure your all bachelor, partying roommates won't mind the smell.

      Love, Mom and Dad

      Delete
  12. You have been working hard. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Mom, I can tell you're concerned about the coming food shortages. I can picture you looking at your seedlings and yelling "BATTLESTATIONS!"

    Good thing the rat monster is gone. It was worse than the Irritating Expectant Mother that moved into the shed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Sweet Pea! We worked all weekend and almost have everything planted. If it wasn't for sore muscles and exhaustion, we would be finished. I'm very concerned about the food shortages ahead. Listening to the farmers talk about how they aren't planting this year is worrisome. The garden isn't a hobby anymore. It might be all the food we have this winter.

      Ok. This is what is really happening. The truth. I have been planting petunias all weekend. We went to the hardware store this weekend and they had all of their annual bedding plants marked down from an outrageous $4.79 to $.89 for a six pack!!! I was shocked! This is peak season and normally people are fighting over them but even at that low price, nobody was buying. Something is really wrong. The vegetables were not marked down, only the flowers. Well, even though I have sworn off buying flowers, I WENT WILD! I filled up my shopping cart. Its your Dad's fault, he didn't stop me. Just sighed and handed me his credit card.

      Delete
  14. I hope your garden is growing and you're not working too hard! I know you ARE! I posted a pic of Pawpaw and I can't do that without thinking of you and how you wrote all the words to the song that time! heehee! Hope you are well and your hubby is doing good. Take care! Your buddy, Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am working too hard but the garden is almost out! Almost done! All that is left now is to get the peppers planted but I can't do that until the cabbages in that spot are harvested. They can't be harvested until Joshua and Dustin come home this weekend to eat them. Bill and I can only take so many greens. Now, finally, I can sit back and breathe. I am heading to your site to check out the Pawpaws.

      Delete
  15. Just dropped by to say hello. Your garden is so crisp and green and beautiful! Oh my, you have large rats like the ones that live here on the grounds. Your little dog is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That rat was fearless. It didn't run when we entered the shed unless we threatened it. I don't like that at all. I moved some things and discovered it has chewed up some of my winter hoop house row covers. That has really angered me! Hopefully, another one won't find my shed.

      Delete