Friday, May 31, 2024

May's Garden (2024)

 

Food has begun coming in from the garden and canning time is here. The swaying white ghost is a blueberry bush which has attracted too many hungry cardinals. It needs to be unwrapped and picked every other day.  Manure load number ten is being unloaded when it isn't raining.


It is necessary to wait until there is an empty spot, of course; however, unless there is a disaster (of which there have been many), there is no time during the year when my garden isn't producing.   


Two years ago Dustin helped set up the support fences. Being a young, healthy, strong, male, and not realizing how forcefully he was hitting the fence posts, he drove the stakes almost to China. Two of them rusted and broke apart deep down in the ground. Since one of the beds is now empty, we decided to tackle the chore of locating the broken piece before it is hit by the tiller.


It required shoveling deep into untilled soil and it was surreal to see how bad the dirt was when I first started gardening twenty years ago. It is hard clay that dries like bricks and is full of rocks. I have almost worked myself to death (not an exaggeration) adding truck loads of compost, leaves, grass, hay, manure and anything else available. The difference it has made to the productivity of the garden is extraordinary.

After the stake was removed, manure from the trailer was added. 


Everything was mixed together. 


Cherokee Wax bush beans and black oil sunflower seeds were planted. I like mixing the yellow beans with the green ones when canning for no other reason than it looks pretty. The sunflower seeds will be pressed into cooking oil.


My garden beds need so much compost and amending because I work them hard. The support fence for this bed stayed up all winter so it would be easy to start planting early. Onion bulbs and snow peas were put out in March and tomatoes, cucumbers and one pole lima bean were added in late April. 


The tomatoes and cucumbers are on the west side of the support fence and the onions are on the east. Last year, peppers were in this area so they could be tied up. The soil is loose and loamy so violent storms can knock tall things over. I'm not complaining at all. This beats the rock hard clay anytime.


Early Rogue tomatoes are early producers and so their seeds were started first.  They will soon tower over the onions which should be almost mature before the shade is too deep.



At the northern end of this fence are cucumbers, one remaining snow pea and a single pole lima bean. The row of snow peas have died from the heat and have been removed - only one remains.  


The tiny cucumbers are ready early and will be pickled whole. They should last long enough for me to make a year's worth for Reese before they succumb to mildew. Their vines will be removed opening up room for the lima bean to overtake the fence. After the onions are harvested, a vining squash or melon will be planted where it can spread along the bare ground below the support fence.  If it is too shady, lettuce or a cool winter crop might be slipped in.


Even though I hate them, I have embraced using nets to ward off insects. It is rewarding looking out my kitchen window and seeing a lush green, growing garden. Watching a field of plastic nets isn't satisfying.  



However, I am willing to try new things. One spot of the netting blew open during a late night rainstorm and before we could close it the next morning, a cabbage moth found the hole. After seeing the superior quality of the other unchewed leaves and how much damage just one moth was capable of in only a few hours, I am convinced to continue using the nets. I don't like them but it has increased the yield.


Another net will be moving around in the garden all summer. As anyone knows who has followed my journey for any length of time, squash vine borers are my nemesis. This year's plan is to cover the susceptible squash varieties with netting, let them grow until they bloom and then remove the covers for pollination. They will be immediately attacked but hopefully, there will be a decent harvest before the plants die.  


The netting will then be moved to another row which will be planted with more of the same squash. The goal is to be able to have a continuous crop of zucchini, yellow and spaghetti squash through out the summer without sprays or scent traps.


One crop of yellow squash was planted earlier and has just been uncovered. Usually, I get two or three harvests before the plant dies. I have always heard jokes about too many zucchini but never experienced the abundance. This just might be the year that happens!


Kitchen preparations for peak canning season have begun. Yesterday I discovered five boxes of canning jars under a pile of junk in an old work shed at an estate sale and then had the nerve to negotiate the price for all of them down to $20 (a steal). I also bought two straw hats for working outside ($3),  and a tire iron for Joshua ($3) which is the item I really went to get. He had a flat tire on the side of the road and his brother rushed him ours. His disappeared in his repeated apartment movings this year. Anyway, as long as the rains continue, I am ready an exceptional summer in the garden! 

13 comments:

  1. I think you have a banner plan for your squash! I planted dill again around mine as it seemed to work pretty well last year. I guess we'll see. What type of gadget do you use to press the sunflower seeds into oil? Thanks!
    --Melanie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad to hear from you! Reese has an electric machine that he will be bringing with him when he comes home for vacation at the end of next month. I should do a blog post and show everyone. I have purchased a 50 pound bag of sunflower seeds from Tractor Supply to use. The quality of the seed makes a huge difference as to the volume of oil that can be pressed out. I won't know if it is fresh seed until we start the process. I looked online but had difficulty finding the seeds in bulk. The flavor of the oil is amazing. It is so strong when it is first pressed that it burns your throat. A little cup of last year's oil is stored in the basement and hasn't gone rancid. Come by and I will give you a sample.

      Delete
  2. Always fun to see what you are doing with the garden...I sure miss having one. We had clay ground where our garden was when i was a kid. And loads and loads of manure were put on it, as well as the tobacco stalks after grading were thrown on it, and leaves...just anything to try to improve it, but it just never did. But it always grew enough stuff for us to can and freeze all that would be needed till the next gardening season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been a semi-truck load of stuff that has been added to my garden but it takes so much to make a difference. I wouldn't have been able to do this except that the horse trainer has hired men who clean out the stalls, pile up the manure, load it into the trailer with a tractor and then delivers it to me. He has 15 to 30 horses so he wants to get rid of it. I keep an eye on his horses in my field (for free) and call him if something happens. We both appreciate what the other has done. If your parents grew enough food on their garden to feed your family, then they did an awesome job. You were blessed to be raised by people who worked so hard.

      Delete
  3. Hi Jeannie...stopped by to visit your garden. Was over at Sarah's "Down By The Sea" and she had you featured. Your veggie patch looks wonderful. Being in Tennessee you are so much farther along than we are in Ohio. I may have to try netting my squash and zucchini plants...never had the borer until two years ago. Now am reading and hearing everyone is having a challenge with this pesky little devil. Thanks for sharing your tips. Will be back to visit you again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Debbie, the squash vine borers are absolutely horrible! We have two hatch cycles each season so they get everything. Over the years I have tried every remedy recommended and so far, nothing has worked. All of my failures have been shared in posts. I didn't realize they had migrated so far north.

      You are welcome to return anytime and hopefully this experiment will be a success.

      Delete
  4. I think your squash plan is brilliant, and hope it will bring you a bounty of squash! I'm with you on the aesthetics of the nets, but you gotta do what you must. You reminded me to check our blueberries. My husband told me Friday that he thought some were getting close, and I've been out of town since then. Good for you, on your canning jar bargain! I know you'll fill them with all manner of good things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our blueberries have ripened a little early and they are huge! We think it is because of all of the rain we are getting. If I had known it would make this much difference, I would have been watering the bush over the years.

      Right now the jars are getting soaked, scrubbed, bleached and sanitized which is crazy since they will only be stacked in the basement until they are needed. I always sanitize them before I use them but they must be cleaned before being allowed in the house. I fear water bug eggs. Ugh. Some of the jars must be extremely old since I don't recognize the style but as long as they seal, I'm happy.



      Delete
  5. Your garden is so productive thanks to all the care you give it! Sarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to give some care to cleaning my house! It has been quite neglected while the garden was being planted.

      Delete
  6. I love that you made your own sunflower oil! I can't wait to read about that. Your garden is off to a great start for summer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love seeing how something finishes -- and something else takes its place!
    "Early Rogue" tomatoes? Are they related to Early Girl? Ever heard of "Determinate" tomatoes? They're small -- but fruiting heavily already.

    I am finally able to try some gardening - but it's hot and dry here, and we haven't been in residence long enough for me to know what works. (Or what the deer will leave alone.) So I'm experimenting all over the place.

    Hugs to my online friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate empty spots in the vegetable garden because they fill up with weeds!

      The "Early Rogue" tomatoes were an impulse buy due to the advertising of a seed company. They said it was always the first to ripen. I was hooked. This is the third year I have grown them but the first time I have started them alongside others. It will be a race for survival. Whichever one wins, will have the honor of being planted again next year.

      I don't know if they are related to Early Girl. Every year I treat myself to a few big tomato plants of different varieties from a local nursery or box store so we can have one ripen real early. This year everything was different. Each single, small plant was $7.00!!!! The half gallon containers with those about to bloom were (about) $15.00 I didn't even see any six packs. Guess we would need to take out a loan to buy them. So. No real early tomatoes in this house this season. Next winter I will make myself put up the grow light and march up and down the upstairs steps to water them. Early tomatoes are just too important.

      We don't have problems with deer even though we see them in the fields during the winter. They seem to know Bill likes to hunt.

      Delete