Tuesday, April 30, 2024

April's Garden (2024)

 

It has been a busy month in the garden. Winter weather is finally finished. The summer garden has been held back because we had two late frosts last week. Spring planting began a few days ago.

The new strawberry bed has begun to produce. Last year, I planted four different varieties and chose the two with the best flavor. As they multiplied, they were divided, transplanted and have almost filled both beds.


The empty areas have onions and an unknown variety of grocery store purchased bulbs of garlic.


We have harvested about ten strawberries so far and have discovered the perfect shade of red when the flavor is at peak ripeness. So far, no berries have made it into the house but have been immediately devoured by whomever spies the treasure.


Today, the garden appears to be nothing but potatoes and onions.



Last summer, I tried starting onion seeds. It didn't go well. These are all that survived. The experiment was a failure of outcome but a success in knowledge attained. It was labor intensive watering and weeding tiny seedlings that were the size of hairs, Never again will I make that mistake. 


Since seed starting was fraught with failure, I decided to buy onion sets from a seed company but was shocked at the prices.  It cost over $35 (including shipping) for this amount. Only a few companies sell them in the fall so they charge premium prices. During spring planting season, the same amount can be grabbed from the bulk bin at the local farmer's co-op for about $5. 


Those planted in the fall survived the winter fine without a hoop house. They are larger than those planted this spring and should mature earlier making way for summer crops.  Planting them in the winter was better because they used up garden space that would have remained empty.


Since winter planting is preferred now, this fall I will try two new solutions. First, Reese offered to start onion seeds for me under his grow light (he will have a better success rate because he knows what he is doing.) We won't transplant any until they are a decent size. Secondly, an old farmer friend said to store some of the inexpensive spring bulbs in the refrigerator and plant them in September.  A few bulbs have been saved back to test that theory.


The carrots that were planted last fall and never covered under a hoop house have begun bolting. I wondered how long they would last.  Most have already been harvested but a few still remain. They are odd shapes because I didn't thin the seedlings due to expectations that nothing would live - wow, was I wrong. 


Onions, carrots and Swiss Chard are all that are left from the winter garden. The summer garden should be finished soon and then we can sit back and watch it grow. 

Last Month's March Garden (2024)

13 comments:

  1. I always look forward to seeing how your garden grows. Looks like Spring has arrived!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is late for you for frosts, right? But you have strawberries and carrots and scallions already--yum! Everything looks tasty and healthy. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is late for my area. My last average frost date is April 15th so I wasn't expecting two frost dates almost at the end of the month. I started to put out tomatoes and peppers but decided to not take a chance when I saw the extended forecast. It is a good thing I waited.

      The strawberries are the best. One of the varieties I grew last year tasted so bad I spit everyone out. It was interesting to see how the flavor could be so different.

      Delete
  3. I forgot how much fun it was to read your garden posts...i am wondering which strawberries were your favorites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome back Rose. I thought you had taken a break from blogging but am glad to see you have returned!

      I don't remember the names but I do remember the prices - $5 for a single plant!!! That's why I only got one of each. Of the two I have left, one was just labeled "strawberry" and I have the name of the other somewhere; however, they are mixed together. This year I may narrow it down even further. One has strawberries with a short stem which keep getting buried in the dirt and the other has stems that are long and stand up high. It is interesting how each variety can be so different.

      Delete
  4. Mmm, the big red strawberry looks so good - I hope you ate it right after you took the picture!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I plopped it in my mouth after I wiped a little of the dirt off (I tell myself the microbes in the soil helps to keep my immune system strong). We are getting two or three strawberries a day right now. I don't know if they will continue to be a slow trickle or if they will suddenly all ripen at once. Either way, I'm happy. Just as long as they keep producing.

      Delete
  5. Lovely to see your full productive vegetable garden - puts ours to shame! Always enjoy hearing about your experiments! Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And your gorgeous flowerbeds put mine to shame!

      Delete
  6. I tried starting onions from seeds this year...I have a few 'hairs,' but that's it! A friend has the self-perpetuating onions and said she'd give me a few...I hope they'll spread for me. (Onions are really expensive here in CO.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Onions are quite cheap here since we get them from Georgia and they aren't shipped far. I don't have any gardener friends locally who can advise me. Most people I know grow a few in the spring but don't bother trying to grow enough to store. I often feel quite alone in what I grow. As I drive down the street, no one's garden looks like mine. Everyone else seems to have the same things. I do admit to making Bill slow down so I can stare.

      Delete
  7. The big red strawberry looks sooo good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was delicious! I wish we were getting more so I could freeze them for winter. We are still getting a small bowl every day which is not enough for us. It is a surprise because the birds haven't discovered them yet. Not once have I seen a bird bothering any of the strawberries. I guess they don't know they are edible yet.

      Delete