Tuesday, October 8, 2019

Amish, Before and After the Drought


It rained yesterday!   We had over four inches (and still counting) of slow drizzling rain!  I declare the drought over!


Before the rain arrived, I griped, complained, and whined every second as I stood and watered my garden in the blazing heat.  However, there are those who suffered more than I.  My livelihood doesn't depend on my farm. This was my local Amish community earlier this summer right before the drought began.




One-room schoolhouse


Then the rains stopped and the drought began. It has been a month since I last visited.  The farmer from whom I purchase milk had a sick cow, the others were hardly producing so my orders were canceled until yesterday.  This is how the land looked. 




It was misting as I traveled and no one I met seemed to mind getting wet or standing in a puddle.  The rain was a welcomed relief.


We haven't had any frosts or even one cold night.  The devastation was caused by high temperatures and no rain.





This was a productive pumpkin field earlier.  Now it is barren except for weeds and an occasional lopsided pumpkin left to rot.


Their tomato plants looked as bad as mine.





Few houses were selling produce.  It was being kept to feed their big families. 


I suppose I can sigh and say what all gardeners say after a dismal season, "There is always next year."

Additional Links
Amish, Buying Fresh Milk
Amish, Summertime

9 comments:

  1. So glad you got some rain. And 4" at that! We have gotten a little, which has kept things going, but we could use a good rain still.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad you got rain....and glad for the Amish, too. I really, really enjoyed your photos. I hope it cools off for you...

    ReplyDelete
  3. For farmers this past summer was a very difficult period. Also in Europe.
    For private gardeners as well. If I would not have watered my backyard, my harvests would have been meagre. Since several days it keeps raining, sometimes very heavily.
    I hope the Amish farmers (and all others) will have enough fodder for their livestock in winter.
    And I hope you will be able to prepare your winter garden now after that bad drought.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We had 3 inches rain Sunday night, and hoping to get more tonight!
    Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The weather is perfect! The rain stopped, it has cooled down and I can't make myself come inside. I love to be outside this time of the year.

      Delete
  5. How beautiful the farm houses and land look........although it is sad to see the drought ridden land in the last photos. Living in very hot Texas........I know the difficulties that drought can bring. I hope you are currently enjoying better weather and pretty fall time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The weather is perfect but we are without internet for a while. They are doing major work on the lines but we are learning to adapt. Sorry to take so long to respond. The Amish wouldn't miss it all!

      Delete
  6. I’m glad to see you got some rain. Hopefully your internet will be up and running soon! It has turned rainy here in Oregon, too. I have a few things still looking very sad I’m my garden but it’s mostly over. That’s ok—things have been socrazy busy around here...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not only is the drought over now, but it won't stop raining! We went from hot and dry to cold and wet. We missed fall!

      Delete