Tuesday, November 9, 2021

Romeo the Stud Appears After a Storm

After a particularly violent night of rainstorms, I looked out my window to check the horses and noticed an extra one in our field.  He was a miniature stud from our neighbor's adjoining property and seemed quite enamored with the ladies in the herd.

Hey, good-looking. Wink. Wink.

The ladies, on the other hand, were not impressed to see him. They knew he would come up short.

Look at me! Look at me! Look at me!

Romeo was not discouraged by their lack of attention but eagerly strutted his stuff. Into the woods he trotted, chasing the ladies and demanding their admiration.


Out of the trees they flew, around and around the field in circles with starry-eyed Romeo in hot pursuit.  



He chased the ladies until all were exhausted.

Pant, pant, pant.

And then redoubled his efforts at courtship. 

 Oh darn. Here we go again.

Sigh

When a romantic Romeo got too amorous, the ladies would reply with a resounding rebuff.  No matter how often he was kicked upside the head, it didn't faze him.  His overzealous passion remained steady.


Our horse trainer called Romeo's owner and insisted he take him home. We discovered in the conversation that the only person able to catch Romeo was his grandson who had raised him from birth. He spoke the truth. No one else could get close.


Romeo's cellmate, Don the Dashing Donkey, observed the theatrics with delight from the adjoining pasture.


"I says to Romeo, don't go a breakin' out.  She ain't worth the trouble." scolded Don.  "Nope. She's a hee-haw heartbreaker. Stay away from that snobby filly.  I sees trouble."


The grandson was in school plus working full-time and had trouble getting away. When he finally arrived, Romeo calmly walked up, nuzzled his hand, and asked for the lead rope.

 I haven't been naughty.

They agreed to pose for pictures before the long evening of fence-mending began.  Romeo had caused quite a bit of damage.


Romeo is now back in jail.  He longingly watches the ladies from afar, neighs their names occasionally and they continue to ignore him. Life is back to normal.


Additional horse stories

6 comments:

  1. Romeo "comes up short??" I laughed more about that than the whole story! Poor guy. So much to love, so little time -- and height. Reminds me of some high-school boys I knew...wonder what they're doing now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The high-school boys grew up and became CEOs and are worth millions.

      Delete
  2. Oh, poor Romeo! Thank you for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my! Should have listened to donkey! He knows! They sure are pretty horses but timing is everything. lol And your comment on my blog...brilliant. Hubby and I are still laughing! Enjoy your day. We get a lot of fun spending time outdoors, in nature. There's never a dull moment!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You should write children's books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill and my guys say I have never stopped homeschooling and should do just that. When they visit and I read my blog to them (I do have to manipulate them to listen), I still read in a sing-song storybook voice. Maybe someday I will self publish...maybe?

      Delete