Wednesday, June 7, 2017

What is Bucky Doing in the Garden?


"BUCKY!  BUCKY!" yelled Mama Doe from the other side of the fence over the hill.  "I can't see you!  You aren't in the human's garden are you?"

"Are you talking to me? I can't hear you." lied Bucky to his mom.


He quickly returned to munching the freshly sprouted, tender bean plants.  Yum.  Yum.


"Bucky!"  warned Mom loudly again.  "You are not safe in the garden.  Remember what the human did to the white moths?  They were only eating tiny holes but you are eating the whole plant.  He might be looking at you out the window right now."  


"Whatever you do, don't stand broadside to tempt him to get his gun," yelled Mom even louder.

"Uh oh." mumbled Bucky.


"Don't worry Mom," whispered Bucky deep within the tall grass.  "I am hiding in the field where I am safe and can peep through the fence to dream of the garden."


UPDATE:  Bucky did not learn his lesson and decided to return in August to eat my flowers in the front yard.

10 comments:

  1. Ha ha! Cute little Bucky!

    So I live in very urban Toronto (not suburban), as do my parents. My mom called me the other day, and this is how the conversation went:
    Mom: Hi Margaret! What do you do when you have a deer in the backyard?
    Margaret: A deer?
    Mom: A deer.
    Margaret: A DEER?
    Mom: A deer!

    That's right, a deer had jumped the fence into my parents (very urban) backyard, and was hopping between backyards, trying to find a way out. It looked at a semi-feral cat that lives in the backyard. The cat looked at it. They were both slightly taken aback. We have no idea where it came from, because while Toronto has a large network of ravines, there is no ravine near my parents house. Eventually it hopped away and hopefully found its way home. First time that's happened in 40 years of living there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too funny Margaret! They can hop a fence without even breaking a sweat. They just bounce over. "Bucky" jumped my fence when he got tired of me snapping my camera. It was so fast I missed the shot.

      Tell your Mom, if it ever happens again, to grab the camera. That will get rid of them every time.

      Delete
  2. At our last house, in the country, we had to put up a very tall fence because that first year it was "Becky vs. the deer" and the deer won! They started with the jalepeno peppers, believe it or not, and continued to eat their way through the garden. Over the years we lived there, we saw many, many deer and were always thankful for that fence! If a kid left the gate open, there were occasions where we saw foot prints in the garden, but never caught a deer, doggone it:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is amazing what they will eat. Jalepeno peppers, yikes! I once saw one eating poison ivy on the fence. I quickly moved away from the window for fear I would startle her and cause her to stop.

      Delete
  3. This story could also be a nice theme for a picture book for young children. I think they would love it.
    Christel

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post....How can they be so beautiful and so destructive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not much different than children!

      Delete
    2. Not much different than children ?
      That´s really dry humor.
      But it illustrates the point.
      Christel

      Delete