Tuesday, December 24, 2019

The Last Show of the Year


It is the end of my working season and this year the last show was a dance recital performed by one of my favorite studios.  Dustin worked the camera (and chauffeured me the long distance) while I sold videos in the lobby.  My job is quite unusual and I share all about it here. My Job, An Introduction 


Usually, we work the venues south of Nashville and let the other crews take the northern locations; however, even though this one is 70 miles north from my home, I always ask to work it. It is a night of celebration, partying, and excitement.  Everyone, no matter their age or skill level is encouraged to join the fun, learn a new step, and dance the night away.


During the past months, everyone worked diligently to master new steps.  At the performance, they were tested, presented awards and were applauded by their family and friends.  Then the lights were turned low and the magic began.



It isn't the usual recital: the studio focuses on ballroom dancing for (mostly) adults.  Two of the ladies who danced this evening were over 75 years old.  (That is not gossip - I heard it straight from their mouths.  Not that I would ever be caught gossiping  - I know better than to get caught.)  


Twice a year, on this special night, each lady becomes Cinderella at the royal ball. Fairey Godmothers style their hair and each one sparkles in a beautiful gown.  It is their dream come true. 

 

Over the years, I have come to know many of them as they stop to chat before waltzing on stage.  They are real women who lead real lives and have chosen to pursue a dream no matter the obstacles.  I am always inspired by their passion and perseverance.

 

This year a famous entertainer graced us with his presence.  As is common with live performances, something goes wrong.  He had difficulty wearing his solid gold, diamond-encrusted, million-dollar belt.  Everyone was attaching safety pins to avoid an embarrassing wardrobe malfunction when he gyrated on stage.  Life is always exciting in the lobby.

"Thank you, thank you vurry much."

As soon as his fan club discovered Elvis was in the building, both of them went wild.


Not everyone performed since it was an abbreviated show - next June's recital will be much larger. They are already making plans for fancier costumes and more elaborate routines. It was a popular topic of discussion in the lobby and I was an eager eavesdropper. That is one show I will not be missing.


5 comments:

  1. What a wonderful performance...even Elvis! WOW! Merry Christmas my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. To me this seems to be not only a dance recital, but also a sort of fashion show.
    Quite interesting, these different styles and colors. I wonder, if there are always enough
    male dancers. I suppose most men are not so fond of dancing. Or is that different in the USA?
    Christel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The dresses are beautiful and are made specially for dancing. They are designed so the lady can move without any restrictions. They look just as good closeup as they do from far away.

      There are not enough men who enjoy dancing here in the US either. Men are men no matter where they live. The studio owner is one of the instructors and he dances with many of the women. They take lessons from him to prepare for the show and so preform with him. He was the gentleman in the dance number with the red jacket and he was also helping to secure Elvis's belt. He wears many different hats...and costumes.

      Delete
  3. I missed this...I do hope you had a great Christmas.

    Now to go see what your job is...

    ReplyDelete