Sunday, December 25, 2022

Scooter, Our Best Friend


My sons scheduled their vacations at the same time again so we could all be together. Reese lives the furthest away. The last time he was home in February we all had covid and Bill almost died in the hospital.  Our family has had a rough year and we all agreed this vacation was going to be different. We would have fun. 


We had a long list of exciting things planned, well, exciting to us at least.


Just as they were arriving home, my Mom passed away. Since I finally had a free moment, the following morning Bill and I took Scooter to the vet. He had begun losing weight and drinking extra water which we thought was caused by his dog food. We changed brands and he improved but we still wanted to make sure he was fine.  

He was diagnosed with diabetes and because of his age, there were no good options.  He only had a week and a half left to live.  He became the center of our lives. 


He was given constant love and attention.


He was taken on slow, daily walks down the driveway and got to lead the way and sniff anything he wanted.


Very quickly he was unable to make it back home.

He deteriorated rapidly.


We cried constantly.


We all said our goodbyes then Bill carried him slowly down the driveway for one last walk.


He paused for a while so Scotter could look around and then we went to the vet. Bill held him while they put him to sleep.


We can't stop crying. Scooter was our constant comfort during many dark and sad times. We miss him tremendously.

14 comments:

  1. Oh Jeannie, I'm so sad for you and your family. May all the years of good memories bring comfort to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful life Scooter had! He was obviously adored, spoiled and completely doted upon. I’m sure your mother will take great care of him until you’re reunited. You have gained and lost this year. May the love of God and His Son lighten your hearts.
    —Melanie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was a big part of our lives. Whenever the heat clicks on I think I hear him walking. I keep seeing him out of the corner of my eye and turn to look but he isn't there. He was a wonderful blessing.

      Delete
  3. Oh Jeannie...I don't know what to say. I know how much you loved Scooter! And Scooter loved you. My dear friend, I am so sorry. And on the heels of your mom's death, too. (This is weird, because we lost our beloved Charley only a few weeks after The Mama died.)

    I do firmly believe that our loved pets will be there to greet us when we pass on. Truly. You will get through this, but it will take time. I wish I could take away some of the pain for you. Have been praying for you and your family - will keep on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Today we went by the shelter where we found him to donate his food. I lost it and begun sobbing when I walked in. The receptionist was so kind. She picked up a puppy who was wandering around for me to pet.
      I firmly believe Scooter will be waiting for me in heaven. Please keep praying.

      Delete
  4. I am so sorry about your Mom and Scooter. We lost a beloved cat to diabetes about 30 years ago. It was heartbreaking to see how ill it made him just like your dear doggie. I am so glad your boys were all home with you during this time..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were shocked at how quickly he went down. We had hoped for a longer time with him but couldn't bare to watch him suffer.
      Thank you for your encouragement

      Delete
  5. Oh Jeannie, I am so sorry for your double loss. I have had pets who were there for me during some of the toughest times in my life, and they were family. Losing your mum , and then Scooter...words fail. I'm so sorry. Scooter was incredibly lucky to be so loved and so well-tajen care of by you and your family. He lived his best life with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, the house is just too big and silent now. Whenever the heat clicks on and the floor creaks, I think he is walking in the other room. He was such a wonderful blessing and I am glad he came to live with us.

      Delete
  6. So sorry to hear all your very sad news it is so difficult to lose a mom and a pet. You gave Scooter such a good life and hopefully those many happy memories will give you some comfort. Thinking of you. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the kind words. I still need them.

      Delete
  7. So sorry to hear about your mom and Scooter. Praying for you. Hoping that 2023 is kind to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am believing it is going to be better. We are five days into the new year an NOTHING bad has happened yet.

      Delete